Festival of Quilts

I had one day at the show this year, and I packed in meeting up with a few friends, some shopping and looking at the quilts. I didn't buy a guide because I knew I wouldn't have the time to study it and get around and do everything I needed to do, so my viewing of the quilts was hurried and all I really got was an overview. As ever there was some really stunning work on show. These quilts are the ones that stood out for me.
This is 'The Heart of Borneo' which I loved because I lived there for several years and it is close to my heart and because I now know the artist Anne whom I first met online but who I have now met twice at the Festival. I love the way she portrays the rain forest in her work and you should go visit her blog to see some more of her work.

The following two pieces really caught my eye. I can't tell you anything about them (because I was too cheap to buy the guide!) but if anyone out there knows please let me know so that I can give the artists their due credit.


It wasn't until I got home that I wished I had given this one a vote for Viewers Choice, but I was in a bit of a daze to be honest.

It is actually a very wide thin piece which I found hard to photograph, but I have added a detail of one of the ends. I think it got 2nd place in the Art Quilt category.

To be totally honest, part of the reason I didn't spend too long gazing at quilts is because I have been nominated to represent my area of the Quilters Guild in their 'In the Spotlight' exhibition next year, and I have already got an idea of what I want to do and I didn't want to be confused by any other work, if you know what I mean. Plus I didn't want to be freaked out by the quality and get into a panic about my own abilities.
Anyway, more on my efforts will no doubt be revealed over the coming year.

Comments

  1. Wow! It's hard to believe these are actually quilts! Thanks for the peek into the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the peak! I am heading down on wed.
    I'm surprised this boy in the water is in the show AGAIN... It was there last year... It is spectacular.. one of my favorites of the show...last year.

    the red and white, is fabulous!

    Good luck with you in the spotlight! fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do try to respond to each one but
if you do not hear from me it is probably because you are a "no reply blogger".

Popular Posts