The Whys and Wherefores

The theme for this exhibition was "The Romance of Words" because 2011 is the 200 year anniversary of Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility". We were told that we could take a literal or a lateral interpretation of the theme and as the exhibition is "In the Spotlight" I decided I had best try to do something using my usual style even though it didn't immediately lend itself to 'Romance'.


My initial plan had been to call the piece 'Inland Coastal Waters' and to put the words of the Shipping Forecast along the pebbles. Not very romantic I know but I have spent many a sleepless night listening to said forecast and visualising the romance of sailing around these shores. Not such a strange idea as it might seem, as I did quite a bit of sailing in a previous life.


Sadly, back in March, while the quilt was in the beginning stages of construction, a very good friend of mine passed away. It was at this time that I first heard this poem. It summed up perfectly the way that Kath, my friend, lived her life. She was a wife and mother, a singer and a painter, and she also cared passionately about the environment. She lived her life just as the poem suggests.


It seemed fitting to use these words here and I have dedicated this quilt to Kath's memory.
I have called it "Cherish" taken from the line "friends to cherish".



The poem "Dust if you Must" is by Rose Milligan.

Ironically, I have spent so much time on this quilt my house is dire need of some dusting and cleaning!

P.S. There are more pictures in my previous post.


Comments

  1. I love that saying and it is so true. Sometimes you have to take time to enjoy life and the cleaning will still be there;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, I am having a bit of a 'down' day and this brought tears to my eyes.

    You are such a talented person. I know this must have taken a looong time to do, but the love and strength you have has carried through into the quilt.

    I am sure your friend Kath is very proud and smiling down on you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your friend. And oh so beautiful. I had not heard that poem before but will never forget it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is stunning and the poem is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Since I started reading the poem, I couldn't stop smiling. It's lovely to see my "mission statement" in prose! :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful tribute to your friend.... some tears run out here, too... I am deeply moved about your "Cherished" now that I understand its meaning....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a hard time deciding whether I wanted to read your blog post or the poem first ... The poem is so inspiring! And what I see of your quilt is BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, can't wait to see a picture of the whole quilt, it must be an eyecatcher. It sure was worth every second of work you put into it ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard the poem either, its a good one to remember. The quilt looks great, i love all those round shapes all nestled together. It looks great and I hope you are proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do try to respond to each one but
if you do not hear from me it is probably because you are a "no reply blogger".

Popular Posts