This is where it all started for me but times change and now all of my blogging takes place over at my
Quilt Routes blog and I hope you will join me over there.

Here I will continue to post images of my work as an online gallery.

Tuesday, 29 July 2014

The Making of an Art Quilt (or not!)

Dreaming of Borneo detail

In my last post I introduced you to Anne and told you about how we are going to be sharing a booth at next weeks Festival of Quilts. (Quilters In Action 21. Do come and say hi if you are attending).
What I didn't mention was that way back last year we hatched a plan to both make a piece to show side by side, Anne's based on memories of the UK and mine based on my memories of my time spent in Brunei/Borneo.

Well, as is the way things didn't really go to plan. We both made pieces but the blogging that we planned and the connection with the two pieces didn't really happen.
A large part of that was mainly down to me. No matter what I did with the piece I was not happy with it, and for that reason was loathe to share it.
I am still far from happy with it but I know what I did and did not do. I know how I should have approached it and why I didn't do it that way.
Above is a sneak peek of the finished piece. As I write this I am still not 100% sure that I am going to display it next week. I am reserving the right to withhold it if I am not happy with the way it looks.
However I do plan (don't make plans Deb!!!!) to go through my process here in order to help me work out my practices and hopefully improve on them in the future.

BTW. I have been documenting my Festival of Quilts preparation on my Quilt Routes blog and Facebook page, but mostly on my #quiltroutes instagram feed. I am enjoying the easy, quick access that this gives me to share what I am doing while seeing what others are up to too :D

 photo oldsmall_zps536eaf25.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I love it and the colors you used, it is a beautiful piece.
    I am never happy with my pieces, always think about what I should have done but with punch needle, I hate pulling out.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt. I simply love turtles and this is a delight. Interesting to read about this collaboration too. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your piece, but I think I understand why you are not too happy with it. It's a bit out of your usual line of work, isn't it? Wish I would be able to see it at your booth - have a great time !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. My hat goes off to quilters. I have 2 dear friends who are amazing quilters and I have huge appreciation for this art form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the turtle - hope to see the rest of it next week x

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the rest is as beautiful as this section you need have no worries. See you at FOQ.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do try to respond to each one but
if you do not hear from me it is probably because you are a "no reply blogger".