Sunday, 2 March 2014
I spent a couple of days in Cornwall this week...
...and the sun was shining!!
It felt so good after so much bad weather.
I am also smiling because of all the lovely comments I received both here and on Facebook regarding my last post. I really wasn't sure about it but your feedback was amazing and very much appreciated and I would like to say a Big Thank You to you all.
Oh look! A bird :D
Tuesday, 25 February 2014
Anyone who has followed my stitching pursuits for a while will know that I have churned out the odd hare or two. I came to having a bit of a thing about hares simply because I married one, or a son of one, if you want to be literal.
I hadn't planned to do another one but when I ended up with a piece of fabric like the one below, I just had to go with the flow.
This piece came about because the infrared lamp that I use to dry my painted fabric at this time of the year got a bit carried away. It just had to become a moon. The rest led on from there.
I learnt a lot from the making.
Don't know why it didn't occur to me to use my quilting foot when doing the straight line stitching on the background. It might have helped to eliminate some of the drag. However, some strategically placed Hares Tails and grasses can disguise a lot :D
Monday, 17 February 2014
NOTE TO SELF:
Remember the size requirements for these Journal Quilts (8 x 8 in), so that you don't have to chop off a load of stitching :'D
I am happier with this one, more delineated areas, not such a hot mess of stitching.
Plus I managed to not smother everything in stitch. After all what is the point in painting/printing a nice background if you are going to cover it all.
Mmm. I am going to try and get straight into the next one for March as I am busy next month.
I am enjoying doing this, but fretting about keeping it up for 10 more abstract pieces!
Thursday, 13 February 2014
In between the storms and the constant wind and rain beating against the windows, I contemplate what stitches to add to my February offering for the Contemporary Quilts Journal Quilt Challenge.
Thankful that I still have power to blog and stitch at my machine.
Saturday, 1 February 2014
Friday, 17 January 2014
After years of being a member of the Quilter's Guild of the British Isles, I have finally got around to joining the Contemporary Quilt Group, which is one of the offshoot groups within the Guild.
I have signed up to the Journal Quilt challenge which they have been running for a number of years now and requires one small Journal Quilt to be produced every month.
Here is my offering for January, which I have pictured in this jaunty angle because despite my best efforts it doesn't seem to be 100% square!
The rules this year are for pieces to be 8 x 8 in square, with a line of some description, straight, curved, angled etc to be featured from one edge to another. Other than that, anything goes.
I have decided that I am going to use this challenge to exercise my abstract muscle, if I have one (!), while playing with my Gelli Arts Printing Plate and exploring some different colour combinations.
I have used normal acrylic paint with a touch of textile medium, instead of my usual textile paint.
I had anticipated that while doing this it would be just as important to decide where not to put stitching as well as where to put it, but as you can see I lost that battle and wasn't happy until it was all covered. This was probably because the paint was a bit too blended shall we say and one thing I want to try and improve next time is getting more definition between the colours.
I also found it very hard to resist the urge to stamp a bird, (or hare!) or such on it. But I stuck with it!