This is where it all started for me but times change and now all of my blogging takes place over at my
Quilt Routes blog and I hope you will join me over there.
Here I will continue to post images of my work as an online gallery.
Friday, 17 January 2014
After years of being a member of the Quilter's Guild of the British Isles, I have finally got around to joining the Contemporary Quilt Group, which is one of the offshoot groups within the Guild.
I have signed up to the Journal Quilt challenge which they have been running for a number of years now and requires one small Journal Quilt to be produced every month.
Here is my offering for January, which I have pictured in this jaunty angle because despite my best efforts it doesn't seem to be 100% square!
The rules this year are for pieces to be 8 x 8 in square, with a line of some description, straight, curved, angled etc to be featured from one edge to another. Other than that, anything goes.
I have decided that I am going to use this challenge to exercise my abstract muscle, if I have one (!), while playing with my Gelli Arts Printing Plate and exploring some different colour combinations.
I have used normal acrylic paint with a touch of textile medium, instead of my usual textile paint.
I had anticipated that while doing this it would be just as important to decide where not to put stitching as well as where to put it, but as you can see I lost that battle and wasn't happy until it was all covered. This was probably because the paint was a bit too blended shall we say and one thing I want to try and improve next time is getting more definition between the colours.
I also found it very hard to resist the urge to stamp a bird, (or hare!) or such on it. But I stuck with it!